What if one day, humans woke up to find that they weren't alone in the galaxy? They make their way into space and discover other alien civilizations with their own histories and motivations looking to make a name for themselves. Choose your race - Human, Drengin, Altarian, and so many more - and lead your civilization into a golden age in one of the largest 4X strategy games ever made!
Research new technology, design starships, and colonize new worlds as you face threats and conquer challenges from new and mysterious sources. Negotiate trade and treaties, wage wars, spy on your enemies, and promote outstanding citizens. And when you've finished that, play again as one of the many included alien civilizations each with its own history, technology tree, ship components, and more.
Galactic Civilizations III now includes the Crusade expansion and Mega Events add-on content for an even greater gameplay experience! Join the ranks of galactic leaders today, and answer the question: how will you rule your galaxy?
NEVER THE SAME GAME TWICE
Each new game offers an array of options as you set it up - choose your map size, abundance of planets and resources, frequency of events, and more for a unique play experience every time. Galactic Civilizations III also removes linear victory conditions and offers you multiple objectives that you can choose to pursue in order to win, such as military conquest, cultural domination, technological ascension, or political alliances. The new multiplayer capabilities also allow you to expand your challenges and fights beyond an AI in order to face off against fellow players. All of this, topped with a rich and in-depth custom ship designer ensure an immersive and exciting experience as you decide how to rule your galaxy.
- The ultimate sandbox experience: Each game has a unique map, worlds, and challenges to face -- all on a massive scale. Play against 16 to 100 opponents.
- Multiple paths to victory: Win through military conquest, cultural domination, technological ascension, or political alliance.
- Create your own history: Each sandbox game lets you create a new future history for your civilization.
- Story-based campaign: Learn the ancient histories of the alien civilizations and one possible future for the human race.
- Massive technology tree: Research a technology tree with immense breadth and depth. Each playable faction has their own unique specializations. Your choice determines how you play and win.
- Faction & Ship Customization: Create a civilization with its own look, ships, technologies, and even options for how the AI will use them.
- Multiplayer: Play online with friends with full support for custom civilizations, saved multiplayer games, and much more.
- A deep economy: Every world is unique with many different resources that can change the course of your strategy each game.
- Planetary Governors: Utilize individual planetary leaders to govern your worlds, deciding what improvements to build and when, which leaves you to focus on larger strategic goals.
- Civilization Builder: Create a custom faction complete with leader, ideology, and abilities. Customize your own galactic navy and create unique dialogue for your faction.
- Invasions: Train your citizens to be soldiers and invade enemy worlds. Carefully plan your attacks, and don’t forget to leave your homeworld defended, too!
- Espionage: Spies can steal technologies, circulate rumors to create civil unrest, sabotage enemy worlds, or even go so far as to assassinate enemy citizens.
- Galactic Citizens: Shape the course of your civilization’s destiny with talented individuals called citizens. Choose from over a dozen unique roles - commander, engineer, farmer, celebrity, and more.
- Complex Decisions: Use skill and strategy to overcome unexpected challenges
- Galaxy-wide Events: Deal with issues on a galactic scale
- Guide your Civilization: Comfort your people through assassinations of beloved leaders, choose how to handle the discovery of a mysterious alien artifact, face down the Dread Lords, and more.
- Choose your form of government: Rule with a gentle touch - or, with an iron fist! Choose from 20 available government styles and set your civilization on a path to greatness. Each style of governing has advantages and disadvantages. You can rule democratically, but you'll need to make sure to keep the favor of your people so you don't lose the next election. You can also adopt an Owner Aristocracy to enslave your working class, or choose an Interstellar Plutocracy and allow your corporations to rule, and then the opinions of your people don't matter! Of course, there's the potential for civil unrest, but you can handle that - right?
- See your Civilization through unexpected Crises: Choose your own adventure! Special events can pop up and throw a wrench into your plans for your civilization. These events, called "Crises," are navigated through a series of choices that you make. You might have to quell a group of violent revolutionaries, or rally your forces against a massive space creature lurking at the fringes of your empire. How you decide to handle each situation will affect what events, options, opportunities, and rewards become available to you.
- Establish a Commonwealth: Put your colonies on a path to self-sufficiency! As your empire grows, worlds on the outskirts will want to become independent. These subject-states will do as they're told without you having to lift a finger. By granting these worlds a status of commonwealth, they will be converted into an ally with a favorable disposition and will be inclined to implement your requests on the galactic scene, as well as provide a substantial stipend back to your home civilization.
- Trade on the Galactic Market: There's always a good deal at the market! Well, maybe not always, but that's what they'll tell you, anyway. Sell Durantium before extensive mining drives down the price, or pay a premium to get some Elerium to construct that new prototype flagship you've been wanting. How steep the price gets depends entirely on how much is (or isn't) available, so buy and sell with care!
- Keep up with current events using the Galactic News Network: In space, there is no biased reporting - that's because we've hired a robot to handle it! Check the news to monitor who's allying with who, who's declared war on each other, and many other activities that are going on across the galaxy. Keeping up with current events and galactic happenings is the best way to stay one step ahead of your opponents.
- Explore exciting new content: Be prepared for anything! From famine to protests, you'll face new events that challenge your leadership and test your people. Certain governments and crises will award you with brand new ships that can't be obtained through any other means. Your choices determine your path and what rewards and penalties you'll have to deal with, so choose wisely.